Friday, August 17, 2007

Carissa!!!

Moments after Carissa's birth
Carissa with her big sister Kyndall at the hospital
Coming home from the hospital all dressed in pink
Carissa at home-4 days old


Carissa arrived at 2:08 pm on Monday August 6th. We arrived at the hospital at 6am and after some drama of inserting my IV, the oxytocin was started around 7:30am. By 8:20 am, I was ready for the epidural! I had to wait 30 minutes for my blood results to return. My epidural was in by 9:15 and I was able to relax! Around 10:15, the oxytocin was turned off, I was having contractions on my own. Just before 1pm, I was ready to start pushing. She arrived just over an hour later weighing in at 7 lbs 9 oz and 21.5 inches long (we later found out the hospital mistakenly measured her, she was actually 19.5 inches long!).


The whole labor and delivery was MUCH easier AND shorter than Kyndall's birth. Carissa's hospital chart said "settles easily" meaning that when she cries she is able to be comforted quickly. Carissa is a wonderful baby. She eats well and still "settles easily." She sleeps 3 hour stretches at night, making it easier on Craig and I!


Kyndall loves her little sister. She tells her stories as she sits in the bouncy chair or on her blanket. It has been tough trying to balance the demands of a newborn with the demands of a 4-year old. Usually Carissa wins out. Kyndall and I have our special time in the afternoon. We take a nap together but before we fall asleep we read and talk about "stuff."

1 comment:

pinkscrapaddict said...

julie - she is so beautiful - really she is just georgeous - gosh she not only sounds precious but looks so precious too!

she is so tiny - I can't wait to meet her!